The projects Highland Stories and Little Lolo Stories are pretty much done which means Monte Stories and the Cornbread project need to get fully drafted this summer. I am a week and a half away from some time to focus on my own work and I need to get a revision plan down. I remember when Jenny Cornell assigned this for the Highland Stories. It was tremendously helpful. So I do it now out of habit. Here is what I came up with:
- Carlos Stories–intro of family and Carlos and necessity for these stories
Section 1–sets up community, village ideals, gossip, infidelities of marriage and friendship
- San Luis
- South Fork
- Carlos and Pifanio
- Pifanio and Felipa
- Pifanio’s Wives
- Felipa Pregnant
- *Church Community*
Section 2–follows Carlos’ downfall, crash sites, drinking and reliance on Lena
- Carlos Unexplained Sighting
- Carlos and the Sugar
- Felipa’s Pregnancy
- Carlos’ Foreclosure
- Carlos and Felipa Trip to Market
- *more argument in market*
- Daughter’s Trip Home
Section 3–Carlos’ background, Felipa’s regret, motherhood
- Carlos Back in his Day–maybe move to previous section?
- Felipa Haunts Lena
- *more Felipa following Lena and Bruna
- Carlos Without Felipa
- Carlos’ Amputation
- *more with Carlos’ reaction in hospital
Section 4–future monte stories, lost monte stories, lost family, loss of community, future?
- Lena Visits Felipa and Carlos
- Lena’s Kitchen
- *Future in Lena’s Kitchen?
My short story “Penance” has a home at Verdad Magazine.